Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

18 April 2008

Adoption Update: Milo!



Hi Sarah,

Milo got a new plate for "his" car. He's so spoiled! He doesn't even like riding in it -- still working on the car-sick thing.

Just thought I'd update you: He's doing so well with Tom. Tom can do anything with him now and Milo's fine. And he's much much better with strangers. I now feel like I can take him anywhere and just let people know not to lean into his face. He's fine with being petted and touched, just not in his face. I've brought him to board meetings for the pet therapy program I volunteer for and also on several walk-a-thons for charities. He's been wonderful! He's perfect with other dogs -- gets along well with all of them. We had a houseful of company one weekend and he was great -- just kind of hung with me and was calm and confident. A very different dog from almost a year ago!

I keep plugging away at getting him to enjoy the car. I've used treats (both inside and outside the car), tried the pheromone spray that's supposed to smell like their mother and be calming, tried Rescue Remedy with a little success but not great. I've tried taking him alone and with the Airedales (he's best buddies with one of them and I thought that would help if he was in the car before Milo got in). I've tried getting in the back first and luring him in with a treat. Nothing is really working. Any other suggestions? I take him to fun places -- the park, the pet store, the beach, and thought he'd learn it was fun to go for a ride. Do some dogs just never like the car?

Thanks Sarah! I feel if this is his biggest problem I can live with that!

Enjoy this beautiful weather!

Susan and Milo (arf!)

No comments: