Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

15 January 2012

Life Changing Dogs: Binx Herscher


I feel like an MABCR success story, as Binx changed my life...completely. I never thought I would end up a shepherdess ....and Sarah had to be reaalllly surprised since I was afraid of her sheep!

I didn't know anything about sheep or herding when I wanted to adopt a border collie. I just wanted a great partner to try agility for fun and maybe some rally obedience!


Sarah matched me to Binx in June 2009 when he was 6 months old. He demonstrated some "natural ability" when he got into her sheep field and brought her flock quietly to her feet...the rest, as they say, is history. We began taking lessons and learning together as soon as he was mature enough for training.


Binx and I will be running in the USBCHA Open class this spring. I now spend most of my weekends traveling for sheepdog clinics and trials. I spend extra time and even time that is not "extra" at someones farm, learning about and helping to care for sheep, building and mending fences and pens, and of course, training my border collies to work their sheep with respect. 

I am now in the process of looking for land to rent so that I can have my own flock.


Indeed, life is very different than it was before Binx. I am blessed to have found him...he is not only my heart dog and partner on the field, but he showed me a way of life and type of partnership that I may have never known without him. Of course, it all started with MABCR...I'm forever grateful for this organization and what we do for the dogs and the people they teach.

"thank you!"

Angie







No comments: