Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

16 April 2014

In Memory: Jeb Wallace

OUR LIVES WITH JEB

I can’t believe it’s been 12 years since we first met Jeb.  We brought him home on April 16, 2002.

Jeb was a rescue from somewhere around Charles Town, West Virginia.   When we first met him, he was about 6-7 months old.  It was suspected that he had suffered some form of abuse.  He had been ill, was underweight with thin fur, and was a little shy.  It was love at first sight, though, for my family and – we’d like to think – for Jeb as well. 

One of my first comments, after having Jeb for 2 days, was “He is the most polite dog I have ever met!” That continued to be true for all of his life. He was truly a family dog.  He enjoyed everyone’s company but – when it was just him and me – he was my little shadow, by my side from room to room throughout the house. 

My family and I had such a great time with Jeb through the years – running through the woods on the campus of St. Andrew’s School in Delaware and on the old logging roads in Maine; camping trips to Shenandoah (Jeb’s first), Acadia National Park or on the shores of Lake St. George (never could overcome his fear of water, though); or simple pleasures (for Jeb) like chasing tennis balls until he would nearly drop. 

Jeb did finally discover how to bark – when we first met him at Victory Farm, we were told no one had never heard him bark – only “roo” (which was an amazing and beautiful sound).  As he got older and more courageous, his barks grew louder and louder.  When he lost his hearing a couple of years ago (probably due to his loud barks!), he couldn’t got outside without a bark!  So out he’d go, pinwheeling and barking to his heart’s content!

Our family lost our gentle, sweet, smart, polite and loving boy on April 7, 2014.  Letting go of Jeb and saying goodbye was one of the hardest things for my family and especially for me.  Jeb became ill in early March, and by the end of the month, his condition had declined such that he could no longer walk.  Caring for him in his final days was a labor of love – love that I continued to hope would bring him through whatever was ailing him.  In the end though, our love for Jeb took on a different meaning – that of letting go.

My family and I would like to extend our thanks and gratitude to Sarah Ruckelshaus and the Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue for introducing us to our first border collie love.  And for being there with advice and support over the past few weeks as we battled Jeb’s illness. 

We turn our attention now to surrounding ourselves with memories of Jeb and giving our hearts to Leap, our other MABCR love!


Donna, with Bill, Lyndsay & Selena 

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

That is a lovely tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mary Ann