Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

22 October 2015

Adoption Update: Ray and Malcolm!



Hi Sarah,
I thought I’d send an update on the boys. They’re both doing great, it’s hard to believe Malcolm has been here 8 months already. He fit right in like he’s been here forever. We celebrated his 11th birthday in August, but he still bounces around like a puppy, squealing with joy when he sees his favorite people. He is, as you said, “a bit odd”, but in an endearing way, and everyone loves him:-). He’ll happily stand forever to be petted. He’s just an easy going, simple pleasures kind of guy who enjoys a quick romp around the property, a hike in the woods, a little snack of horse manure or a dip in the lake. The throwing or kicking of balls and other toys makes him nervous (although he’ll sometimes stash a chew or ball in his crate), and he’s almost impossible to get nice photos of, since he hides from the paparazzi. Otherwise, he’s happy-go-lucky, easy going and easy to live with.  This summer we lost our little blind rescue at almost 17, so Malcolm has stepped into the senior position. We enjoy having a senior in the house and he’s a gem.
Ray has been my constant companion, always up for whatever it is I’m doing, wanting to know how he can help. I try to accommodate his interest in all my projects, even if it’s just to watch my tools, while I go grab another. He’s always happy to comply, and listens intently to explanations of “our” project, as if he’s studying for a later exam. He doesn’t care what it is we’re doing, so long as he’s a part of it, even if his “job” is to stay back out of the way for a moment. He helped me accomplish a lot this summer:-). And if I’m busy with office stuff, he’s happy to just crash at my feet and sleep (as he’s doing right now). At least until he learns to type.
His favorite time is sheep time. Although we’re working within the constraints of a tiny field and number of sheep, he’s doing well. He’s a soft dog and we’re taking it slow and careful, but he’s gaining confidence. He can now peel them out of a stall or corner, and really enjoys holding them off the exhaust gate for me. He’s so proud of himself when he achieves something he wasn’t sure he could do and thrives on teamwork and accomplishing a goal.
Just recently the light bulb started coming on regarding driving. I try and set up situations where it makes sense for him and he’s getting it now. Let’s say he has his learner’s permit;-). We’re just doing very short little distances but he’s working off the heads and gaining understanding. It’s opened up more opportunities for him, now that my over dogged sheep are giving up trying to run back and will stay where we set them.
At some point I’ll set up a free standing pen to offer more of a challenge. I’m also planning on a few more sheep for next year. We’re having a lot of fun working together. I love seeing him learn to believe in himself and I appreciate all he has to teach me.
Mason



No comments: