Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

07 December 2010

Adoption Update: Rachel
















Sarah,

I am very, very sorry to hear about Missy. Regardless of how you replied to my first email, I was going to ask you how she was anyway. And not just for the sake of knowing how her health, etcetera was, but to have something to compare Rachel to...you see, Rachel has just begun to show her age.

The best example of "showing her age" is this; I have always taken Rache and our other dog/dogs running with me. But lately, she has been hanging back. Eventually, I could see a wear spot developing on her LR paw, innermost toe pad. I currently think the toe is fine, but something (arthritis?) has altered her gait just enough to cause scuffing or extra load bearing on that toe. My vet and I are investigating this.

But aside from this reasonable, even predictable change in her athletic ability (she is over 13), let me assure you she is happy and mostly healthy. I married a wonderful woman who works from home and is there for Rache all day. Before I married, I truck drove for a living and took Rache (and Sharpie) with me every day.

Rachel has always had seizures, but they decrease in frequency, depth, and duration with every passing year. No biggie.

She is the most obedient and loyal dog I have ever had. She has many funny little ways about her...like when she's tired, she wanders off to bed, no matter what's going on. And she makes it possible for Sharpie (who is blind) to run through the house by sounding out the path ahead. Also funny, while she's still not the best with kids, she's masterful with other dogs. Some are even a little afraid of her. In a pack of spazzy, jumping dogs, she'll trot into the middle of them, pick up a bone, take it to the back of the room and have a chew like there's nothing else going on. I could go on about all her ways.

What a good dog.

If you don't mind too terribly, please tell me how you lost Missy. (Sarah answered this privately and referred John to the "Tao of Moo"
on this blog)

BTW, my wife Denise and I were admiring Sable, the little female on the MABCR website, because she is so strikingly beautiful. Tell me, how "small" is small...as in how many pounds, or height at the shoulder?

Hope you and yours are well also.

Regards,

John.

No comments: