Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

16 February 2011

Adoption Update: Ketch!

Hi!

Our previous two dogs didn't really play like Sophie and Ketch do, so I'm looking to you (or someone you could direct me to) for guidance.

They seem very evenly matched play-wise. Sometimes Sophie is 'on top', and sometimes Ketch is. There's always happy tail wagging and one of them is always on a long line.
They play really hard for quite awhile two or three times each time we're all out together. I just let them do their thing and when they're 'done', we take our walk.

They are not allowed to roughhouse inside, although they are loose together inside at various times. They haven't even tried to play that way indoors, actually.

Ketch has exhibited a bit of resource guarding, but Sophie is not exhibiting any at all (which kind of surprised me). Sophie has not minded Ketch investigating or playing with her things. We observed Ketch growl and snap when Sophie briefly sniffed at the entrance to Ketch's crate (Ketch was not in it at the time, and there was no food in it).  We haven't had it happen again. Sophie is able to rest comfortably on her own pillow in the same room without any issues.



After giving it some consideration as I've been observing the two dogs interact, I started taking them out on the farm long-lead free. This has made a tremendous difference, and I think we're good to go! They're playing just as nicely as before, but since I don't have to stand right there (mostly because of the threat of them tangling up with each other and the leash), they can play freely and I can take my walk. They follow around as nice as can be; pausing now and then for some play, and then catch up and walk with me or right next to each other just ahead or behind me. Then we'll all pause and watch the neighbors horses before continuing on. Success! Of course, I'm always prepared to jump in if need be, but there's been absolutely no hint of aggression...just fun play.

Awesome! 


Now, if only Ketch would go around the farm with Jay and Ike. She only wants to be out there with me, so the guys are having some trouble getting her to do anything but go potty outside. She'll play with them indoors, but outdoors it's a no-go. Weird...


Here is a video of the girls playing...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDblmvCz4Rs

-Lisa


No comments: