Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

23 February 2011

Monster Milers?

Not sure I am crazy about the moniker placed on this program ( Monster Miler ) as I don't want anyone to see our rescue dogs as monsters. That doesn't mean I don't approve of the program whole heartedly! (see the link above)

PAWS in Philadelphia has started a program where if you are a runner and want company, you can go to their facility, borrow a dog, and run with it. Generally 1 to 3 miles, and on pre-prescribed paths, the runs benefit the dogs immensely, and I have no doubt the humans involved get something from it as well. While the dog sets the pace, the average human runner can easily pace with a jogging dog. I would say that without a doubt a program like this not only helps to make dogs more adoptable, it would help them get adopted faster.

I know most of you are too far from our facility to do something like this with us, but check with your local shelter to see if they have this sort of program. And, if you are in the neighborhood, (or live near one of our fostercare givers) I would love to loan you a dog! Maybe we could call our program Bouncing Borders, Coursing Collies, Moving Mutts...or how about Pacing Paws!!

Sarah

No comments: