Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

20 April 2011

HELP!! I Need Somebody! Help! Not Just Anybody!

Yes, I stole those lines from John and Paul (apparently, John wrote it, Paul helped to refine it), but they suit well. As my friends can attest, I am not good at asking for help. In fact, I am really bad about it. I often will wait until I am desperate to ask for even the simplest things. Not my best quality for sure.

As each new year begins, I don't make resolutions, but I do make a plan. Sometimes my goals are personal, sometimes professional. Always it is a plan of improving myself; who I am and what I do. Last year I decided I would put effort into traveling more. And I did that, making trips to North Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri and Cape Cod. I am continuing to do that this year, which is an important part of that plan, to not simply make the change for a year, but for my life.

This year is the Year of Asking for Help.

The first quarter of 2011 has brought us more dogs in need than ever. The reasons for relinquishment continue to be financial and very emotionally packed. Folks getting divorced, moving into smaller homes or apartments, being transferred overseas, or moving in with family. Pet owners can't afford to vet their pets, sometimes they can't afford to feed them. Shelters are packed to capacity and are coming to us now more than ever. I can't tell if this is because we are becoming better known, or if there are more border collies in shelters.

The numbers of young dogs in need is increasing, as is the number of aged dogs. There used to be a divide (15 mos to 3 years was our median age) but now the ages of dogs in need are across the board. People aren't just giving up dogs because they need training and exercise, the reasons are now far more complicated.

The first quarter also brought some hefty bills to MABCR.

We had to purchase a new vehicle after the Yukon was totaled. Yes, the insurance paid for the majority of the new vehicle, but there are always extras that cost.

A dog came in who needed an emergency FHO. Not something we could turn our heads to.

The Jeep needed new brakes all around. Our vollies need to be safe for sure.

The washing machine quit after a huge thunderstorm and would have cost as much to repair as a new one, so we replaced it with a brand spanking new washing machine, the first ever for MABCR (in the past, the machines have all been donated).

So, while we have paid for some of these things, it has put a hurting on our accounts, and we still owe half of the FHO to the vet, and the brakes to the mechanic, and we still have to pay the daily bills.

So, today I am asking you to help. MABCR is in need of funds to help us get through this. If you can afford $10, $50, $100, or more, please consider helping us to help the dogs. We cannot do this job without your help. You can paypal or mail your donations (please see http://www.mabcr.org/donations.php ) We truly appreciate it.

For those of you who cannot help financially, we do need volunteer help and in kind donations. More about that in another post.

Thanks for reading...

Sarah and the dogs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Sarah~ Thank you for all you do for the border collies who come to MABCR. Just gave a donation, wish so much it could be more, but I do so in honor of my border collie, Jenny. Be well and see you at the Sheep and Wool Festival. :-)
Sandra