Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

28 July 2011

Adoption Update: Charlie in the City!

Week #2 with Charlie is going great.  He seems to love city life, and has adapted to apartment living too.

He's not afraid of much of anything except the occasion bike or stroller, and a few of the larger dogs.  Otherwise, he takes advantage of every opportunity to meet other dogs and people.  He knows the neighborhood really well, and already has plenty of friends.

He's very well behaved in the apartment.  He really hated being crated, so I've been slowly giving him more leeway during the daytime when I'm at work.  So far, so good.    I've been scheduling my days so that I can come home once or twice, but I'm also interviewing a dog walker this weekend to do a lunchtime shift.

His food intake has nearly doubled (although he's still fairly restrained about food, generally). He is starting to learn a couple verbal commands, but he responds easily to a variety of other signals.  He's picked up all my (and our) routines easily.  And he's a couch potato!!  My couch will never be mine again, but that's ok. 

On the leash, he has good days and those that are slightly less sterling.  I'm working on it.  It's clear that he's smart and willing, and when he's in a good mood and there aren't too many distractions, he's very compliant. 

His few minor issues should be solved easily -- he still pees when he's excited or nervous.  It's getting slightly better, but being unpredictable, it's difficult to manage.  And he has this cute (but annoying) habit of gently nibbling sheets and pillows with his tiny front teeth when he's falling asleep or getting cuddly or playing.  It's not destructive, but is something I'll need to manage.  

He's a great dog, and he seems very happy.  His personality is blossoming every day.  He's getting more playful, more communicative, and without a doubt, we're very bonded.

Just thought I'd send word.

I hope you're all well.

-Thor

No comments: