Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

23 July 2012

How I Failed as a Rescuer: Lessons from a Sanctuary | notes from a dog walker


How I Failed as a Rescuer: Lessons from a Sanctuary | notes from a dog walker:

"This has been a heavy, heart breaking week in the world of animal welfare. A few days ago a formerly reputable sanctuary in Texas called Spindletop Refuge was raided by authorities. Close to 300 dogs, mostly pit bulls, were discovered living in terrible conditions. It was just one of many failures this week. The reason why this particular case is so upsetting is that this was supposed to a “good” sanctuary. Rescue groups and families from around the country have been sending their dogs to live there, paying hefty boarding fees, in the hopes that the dogs would have a chance at another life out in Texas. Some dogs were adopted out, others lived at the sanctuary for life."

Please take the time to click through and read this well written and thoughtful piece from a rescuer's point of view. I made the decision to humanely euthanise the dog in the photo above (Poco). Poco had been with us nearly a year, and even after intensive work, was still a bite risk to anyone but me. Where he to stay here, he would have lived his entire life sequestered in a kennel. It was far kinder to help him pass. I do not regret my decision, though I miss him and his ashes sit in my office.

'via Blog this'

No comments: