Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

27 May 2015

Life Changing Dogs



I don't know about you, but I have been lucky enough to have had several Life Changing Dogs come into my life. About 15 Novembers ago, a young dog was brought into rescue, and lived with me for a time. This dog was one of 'those dogs', dogs rescuers like me wish they had room for, time for, money for, but know they need to live a better life in another home. 

One morning I received a phone call from a fellow who had put his border collie down the day before, and was on the hunt for another, one to 'rescue in his honour'. Within a couple of weeks, Peter and his wife Barbara had convinced me to break several rescue rules, and took Bienn home right before Christmas (something we do not normally do).

Usually, when a dog goes home, that is that. We get updates from time to time, photos, cards on holidays, etc. Not with Bienn's new family. This is the life changing part. MABCR got HUGE supporters...Barbara is our storekeeper, my right hand and sounding board, Peter gives advice when needed, and was our treasurer for a few years. Eventually, Barbara and Peter, along with Bienn, Copper, Casey (an MABCR dog) and Bonnie, moved to Maryland, and live only 7 miles from the farm. For me, personally, Bienn gave me my best friend (Barbara), and a mentor (Peter) who have helped me through some of the most difficult times in my life. 

Up until today, his days have been mostly good, though he had stopped traveling with Barbara and Peter, I don't think he minded too much, as he got to stay here with me. He had also stopped going upstairs, but still took walks every day, and sniffed and pee'd on stuff.

Bienn passed today in his own back yard, under the big sky, with his people around him and his canine companions just feet away.

I suspect Bienn was a life changing dog for Barbara as well, though I've never asked her, and honestly, if I asked her now, we would both cry the ugly cry, and wouldn't be able to speak. I'll just have to assume it's true...


I was going through my photos to find a nice photo of Bienn, and found this, a photo I had taken as part of a photo shoot for Barbara's latest book (she needed a new author's photo). I was struck by the fact that only Bienn is in focus (an obvious mistake) and that he is out front and center, and that Barb is looking at her boy. As it should be.

Goodbye, Beans. I'll see you when I see you, sweet boy.

1 comment:

BWE said...

He was a lovely good dog that played a role in changing the direction of my life. As Sarah says, I believe that rescuing a new dog to honor one that passes is the best way to celebrate his life and help get over the loss and heartache that comes with losing a dog. For Bienn, I am playing the role of foster parent to a litter of seven rescued Border Collie/Lab mixes and their mom at MABCR. Fostering puppies involves lots of fun, lots of cleanup, and lots of socialization and training. When they all go to their forever homes, they will take pieces of everything Bienn taught me. I can't think of a better way to honor him.