Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

15 March 2012

Ilsa Sternberg


This afternoon I learned that one of the most inspirational people I have ever met has passed away.

I met Ilsa several times over a few year period. We ran into each other at herding clinics and sheepdog trials, and always, I was so amazed by her strength. 

You see, Ilsa was confined to a wheelchair. She had very little ability to move, her wheelchair was electronic, and her voice was barely above a whisper. Yet, her passion was training dogs, and dog training she did.

Before I met her, I was told she trained her pappillons in agility. I was told that her dogs worked well for her. Then she got the bug for herding, and trained her  border collies to work the flocks. Last I saw her, her dogs wore a receiver on their collars so they could hear her commands. I heard through the grapevine that at trials she did have assistance on the field, a human closed the gate for her, but other than that she worked her dogs.

I am certain it was not easy for her. I didn't have the privilege of knowing her well enough to know of her struggles, or her triumphs, but common sense says she had them. Yet she kept at it.

I understand she had property in Florida, and had sheep. I am sure she had quite a bit of help and support, but she did it. She kept at the training and being with her dogs.

Ilsa had written a book and she gave me a copy. It is still the book I recommend to physically challenged people who call looking for help. I am sure someone has written one more recently, but Ilsa was extraordinary in her understanding, since she herself was physically challenged. The book is available at amazon and other book selling outlets.

When someone tells me they can't train their dog for XXX reason, I think of Ilsa. I am sure loads of people told Ilsa she couldn't, and yet she did.

I have no doubt there were dogs waiting for Ilsa at the bridge.

2 comments:

Ericka said...

She will be missed, a big inspiraion to dog lovers especially the disabled. I knew her personally and found that once she comes in your life she becomes unforgettable. A wondeful individual who I kne
w for many years. RIP.

Wassi's Meat Market said...

Ilsa has been one of our Meat Market customers for the last few years. Very interesting and pleasant, and a very strong individual (personalitywise) Sad to say that until today I really never was fully aware of exactly what she did. Many times she invited my Grandson to come to the dog trials, but it was always oin a Saturday (our busiest day of the week) and he never was able to go.So sad to hear that she is gone. It was always my pleasure to wait her when she came into the store.