Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

14 January 2013

Adoption Update: Finn!


Jaclyn,
Just a note for you.  Please pass this on to the folks at MABCR. Finn is doing well and he seems to be settling in on the very well on his 1st day in his new home.  

I do not understand why this dog was in a rescue.  I have had him with me all day today and have yet to see anything bad or negative with this guy.  He did get on the couch but responded very quickly when I said "no", and then followed with "off".  A few cycles of that I and I have not seen him on the couch since.  

I took him over to a friends house while I was installing a laminate floor and he was very well behaved all day.  He loves to play fetch and he seems to know all of the basic dog training lessons.  He is house broken, understands no,  sit, down, stay, leave it,  drop it, out, and heal.  He is very rough on a leash but responded very well this morning when I took him for a walk.  I had him healing fairly well in about 10 minutes; somebody has taught this guy to walk on a leash in  the past.  

I have also noticed two additional tricks like shake (verbal Que being paw) and he will sit up on his hind end and then walk on his back legs on command.  I have not figured out the actual command yet but he was doing that today.  He did this when I asked him to speak.  He is very smart and very responsive to voice commands.  

I bought him a knotted rope at the pet store and we spent about an hour playing with that.  He seems to understand the difference between toys and was going to fetch a particular toy when I asked.  I was able to get him to switch from his rope, to a blue squeaky ball, to a tennis ball, and back to the rope by simply saying "no, go get me the (insert toy)".  

I plan on taking him to the local dog park tomorrow and see how he does off leash.  They have a very large fenced in area that covers several acres.  Oh, buy the way, he seems to be doing OK with my cat who appears to be coming to some sort of uneasy peace with Finn. He is paying much more attention to her than she cares for though so I am fully expecting him to have scratch marks on his nose before long.  All and all not a bad 1st day for Finn.

When I talked to you yesterday you had said that Finn attached him self to you husband, well he seems to be doing the same to me.  He is not responding as well to my wife Mitzi and prefers to follow me everyplace I go in the house.  Also when you said that he seemed to want to climb into your lap, well he will actually do that.  I had a 55 pound lap dog today, by surprise.

Patrick

No comments: