Dog Days

Dog Days at Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue

24 August 2013

In Memory: MABCR Scout Eyler


I'm really sorry to say that Scout left me yesterday afternoon.  She got sick on Sunday and went to the emergency vet that afternoon.  She spent Sunday night and Monday night at the emergency vet and all day Monday and Tuesday at my regular vet.  Even though her fever broke Tuesday morning and I was hopeful that she would pull through, an ultrasound showed that her pancreas was still extremely inflamed and that she had a lot of fluid in her belly. Plus, her blood work was getting worse. Doctor Barbour, who has my complete trust (he saved Tucker's life last year), thought she might have another 48 hours.  My greatest fear was that she was suffering and that if I took her back to the emergency vet that night she would spend her final hours with strangers instead of with people she knew and who loved her.  I was able to bring her home Monday night for a couple of hours so that she could see all of her furry brothers and sisters again and they could say goodbye.  I was with her until the end. She will be particularly missed by Tucker and her cat Rogue.


Scout and Tucker were both adopted from the Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue in 2001.  Scout in July and Tucker in August.  Thank you Sarah for bringing us all together.  Scout's name at that point was "Goose".  Seriously Sarah, what were you thinking.  After I loaded the big hairy mess in my back seat I turned around and told her her new name was Scout - and the rest is history!  It's funny that that day I was planning to come home with a male dog, who was black with white markings with shorter fur.  Well, I chose right that day and was fortunate enough to add Tucker to the family a month later.  They were both meant to be mine.

Scout was happiest when it was cold outside and her fur would blow in the wind and snow.  She was wonderful with kids and particularly loved tween girls.  On more than one occasion she would walk up to a blanket full of girls at the park and lay down between them, perfectly content.

I loved:

The way she would "woo woo woo" instead of barking
Her beautiful coat and long furry tail
How sweet and protective she was
How much she loved her brother Tucker
How stubborn and mule headed she was
The way she "patrolled" the yard

Scout loved:

Eating any kind of poop
Biting the heads off of small rodents
Carrying live mice around in her mouth, inside the house!
Rolling in mud and poop
Taking walks and visiting her friends
Carrots and ice cubes
Having her belly rubbed

I will miss her more than I can say.  It's so hard to believe that she is gone and I can't begin to tell you how much I wish she was still here.  I'm so happy that many of you were able to know her.  A couple of pictures are attached that show her at her best!

If anyone would like to make a donation to the MABCR http://ww.mabcr.org in Scout's name it would be greatly appreciated.  They do wonderful work, gave me two fabulous dogs and changed my life.

Thanks to the wonderful staff at the Yellow Springs Veterinary Clinic for providing such wonderful care and emotional support.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.